Back In Time Stretch

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cake Decorating...My First Attempt

So I am pretty sure starting a blog the week of a Holiday was not my brightest idea, but here's to a wonderful second post...finally.

Cake decorating...may not be my calling, but I am trying really hard, so that counts right? It is at hobby lobby, my teacher looks like Tammy Faye Baker, and I convinced two friends to join the class with me :)

Lauren, as Simon from Alvin and the Chipmunks

Megan, as an Indian or eskimo

Anyway, our first class was an adventure. Megan tried to make her icing with granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar, Lauren made her icing with milk and left it out for a day so it was spoiled, and it took me a couple of tries to actually get the icing made (trying to hand beat icing is not possible when using Crisco). Below are some awesome pictures of me making the icing the first time and so on.

All of this will soon become an beautifully iced cake. This was at 8:15 PM.

Notice how level the cake is...kinda. But I did use thread to cut the cake, that myth is now solved. Thanks Dad!


While trying to mix the icing, this time not by hand, I managed to get chunks of almost icing all over the floor. the dog would not help me clean.

Half way through icing the cake.


Almost ran out of icing.


A freshly iced cake. Too bad there are a lot of holes, chunks of cake missing filled in by icing (like they do on Cake Boss), and crumbs all throughout the icing. The kitchen was a disaster, but I finished cleaning everything at 1AM.

Here is the final product. Not the best looking cake, but I do give myself an "A" for effort!

the top view.

Next are the pictures from my last class/third class.


The roses were so hard to make. but I got the leaves down :)

I took both cakes to work, after all that hard work, I could not even begin think about eating it. They went fairly quickly, so I was grateful not to take any of it home. I do not think I will be quitting my day job any time to soon pursue a career in cake decorating, but I am having a good time and I signed up for the next set of classes so I will learn to make pretty royal icing flowers. I have high hopes that this will go over better than the roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment